University Registrar

Transfer Credit

Definition of Transfer Credit Types

This information mainly applies to students who receive evaluations of their transfer credit from the University Registrar at The Ohio State University.

Course Equivalents

Course work taken at other accredited institutions may be recognized by the awarding of credit for similar Ohio State courses according to sets of guidelines established by various faculty assemblies. The types of credit that can be awarded depend on many factors; comparability of course descriptions is never the sole determinant of what credit is initially awarded by the University Registrar.

It is also important to understand that the application of credit toward a student's degree program is determined by the academic units (college offices, e.g. Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering). Most questions about fulfillment of degree requirements should be directed to counselors/advisors in those units

General Credit (G000.xx)

General credit is awarded when there may be an equivalent course at Ohio State, but the Transfer Credit Evaluator could not make that determination. Many academic departments want to review transfer course work on a case-by-case basis, so they instruct the transfer credit evaluator to award General credit for certain kinds of courses. College offices may advise students who receive General credit to have the coursework further evaluated to determine a specific course equivalency, if possible. This action helps students avoid registering for courses which may duplicate previous coursework.

Special Credit (S000.xx)

Special credit is awarded when no specific course equivalent exists at The Ohio State University. Special credit is usually used as elective hours. However, special credit may be used to fulfill degree requirements upon approval by the appropriate college office. Upon admission to a degree-granting college students should contact the college office regarding the use of Special credit to fulfill degree requirements.

Technical Credit (T000.xx)

Technical credit is awarded for technical coursework that is acceptable as undergraduate credit at The Ohio State University.

Like General and Special, Technical credit counts toward overall earned hours, but application of such credit toward degree programs is determined by the college offices.

Deferred Credit (D000.xx)

Deferred credit is designated when the transfer credit evaluator cannot determine if this course work is acceptable as undergraduate credit. It is not included in the total hours awarded, nor is it added to your Ohio State record until a transfer credit coordinator further evaluates the course(s) to determine whether or not credit can be awarded.