Step 2: Understand the Residency Guidelines & Classifications
To receive the state of Ohio subsidy for tuition purposes, you must show that you meet the requirements set by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) in the Ohio Administrative Code, Chapter 3333-1-10 and Ohio Revised Code, Chapter 3333.31. You must also be eligible to remain in the United States on a permanent basis. Learn about Eligible Visa and Immigration Statuses. These guidelines are outlined in the various classifications below.
To be eligible for Ohio Residency for Tuition Purposes you must qualify for one of the classifications listed below.
- Forever Buckeye-Ohio High School Graduates
- Financially Independent Students
- Financially Dependent Students
- Military Member (including spouses/dependents)
- Additional Classifications
A student's residency status is not updated automatically. It is the student’s responsibility to provide clear and convincing proof that they meet the guidelines by completing a reclassification application (Online Residency Form) and providing all supporting documentation requested. Review the Frequently Asked Questions in Step 3 before applying for reclassification.
Please note, an application will not be eligible for review and processing until ALL the following conditions are met:
- The student is enrolled.
- All requested documents have been received by the applicable deadline.
- The Selective Service registration requirement has been satisfied.
Once complete, applications are reviewed in the order they are received.
Since every application is unique based on individual circumstances, the documentation required will vary. Prior to applying, gather all pertinent documentation to support the information reported on your application. Students are encouraged to supply any additional documentation that may clarify their personal or financial situation.
- Please upload documents individually.
- Do not upload a document more than once unless requested to do so.
- Uploaded documents are not immediately recorded as “received” in the Requested Documents list.
- Uploading multiple copies of documents will delay processing.
- Please ensure that all required documents reflect receipt by the application deadline.
Please see the Documents Requested for Ohio Residency for Tuition Purposes for detailed information regarding the documentation requirements for each classification.