Student Evaluation of Instruction for Students
The purpose of the SEI, as it was designed, is to provide a standardized survey instrument for the collection of student feedback on the quality of instruction. This feedback is used as just one of several methods of assessing teaching effectiveness.
- Instructors use it to improve courses and teaching.
- Departments use it for the annual review of an instructor’s performance.
- Departments use it to make decisions about the curriculum.
- Colleges use it to make decisions about promotion and tenure.
- Students use it to help make course selection decisions
- Users log in to gain access to the SEIs of courses they are registered for, but information is NOT associated with the responses to the evaluation.
- Instructors can see response rates during the evaluation period, but never see who has or has not completed an evaluation.
- Instructors do not see reports until after final grades are posted. The reports include overall totals for each question. Comments are included as written.