- Agreements & Partnerships
- Attendance & Participation Rosters
- Buckeye Link
- Calendar (Academic)
- Classroom Scheduling
- Course & Class Information
- Degree Audits
- Degree Verifications
- Enrollment Verifications
- Exam Scoring
- Final Exams Schedule
- Forms (staff only)
- Graduation Filing
- Ohio Residency for Tuition
- Pathway Agreements
- Preferred Name
- Prior Learning Assessment
- Student Data
- Student Evaluation of Instruction
- Syllabus Search for Students
- Syllabus Upload for Faculty
- Transcript Ordering
- Transfer Credit
- Tuition and Fees
- Waitlist at Ohio State
The Ohio State University has adopted a new policy that allows students to select a preferred name, instead of their legal name, for certain uses at Ohio State. Your primary name is your legal name and official name of record for your transcripts, Statement of Account, BuckID, diploma, payroll, etc.
A preferred name is the name you are called in day to day life. For example, perhaps you have always gone by your middle name, a nickname, a name that is easier to pronounce, or for transgender students, you may self-identify by one name but have not opted to make that change legally.
Ohio State has accepted preferred names for several years, but now that name will be used in more places. With this being a recommendation of the No Place for Hate Task Force as a way to encourage a more open and welcoming campus community, several key partners worked together to implement this new system.
How do you change your PREFERRED first name?:
- Log in to your my.osu.edu via my.osu.edu.
- On the left-hand side, click on My OSU Identity Information.
- You can add, change, or delete the value in the Preferred First Name field.
- This change in your my.osu.edu will then update to Buckeye Link.
Once saved, your preferred first name will sync to lots of systems, including: my.osu.edu, Student and/or Applicant Center, Employee Self Service, email (preferred name in parentheses), Carmen, and class rosters. Additional preferred name system enhancements will be coming later in the summer, including email and Find People. We appreciate your patience as your preferred name synchronizes throughout connected systems.
- Where will my preferred name be used?
The preferred name will show up on class rosters, advising reports for advisors, and Carmen - basically any day to day record. It will not show up on degree audit reports, diplomas, transcripts, or official enrollment or degree verifications.
- Can I use my preferred name on my BuckID?
Yes. Simply tell the BuckID customer service representative that you want to use your preferred name on your BuckID. Your preferred name must be designated in Buckeye Link before BuckID can use it.
- Can my BuckID with my preferred name be used as proof of identity?
Not in all circumstances. In some places, especially off-campus, an ID with your legal name, such as a driver's license, may be required.
- What about the regional campuses?
The system used for Columbus campus is the same for those attending regional campuses.
- What about student employees?
Everything student related would follow the preferred name model, and everything employee related would not. A student would show up in Carmen under their preferred name, and their legal (primary) name would show up on their paycheck.
- Where did this idea come from?
The new system was initiated by the Office of Student Life and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and developed by the University Registrar and Office of the CIO based on the recommendation of the No Place for Hate Task Force.
- How do I change my primary (legal) name?
Your primary name is your legal name and official name of record. If you need to change your primary name due to a legal name change or any other reason, complete the Change of Record form based on your affiliation: for Students or Faculty/Staff.